Saturday, March 6, 2010

MO TEE SUH'S NAME

He walked back into the diner
Hopin' she'd be there tonight
She stepped through the kitchen door
Looks like his timin' was right

“Nice tah see ya this evenin', suh”
”We got greens on the menu”
”Mama sho' picked a mess of it”
”I'd git it if I wuz you”

He smiled and watched her pour the tea
Wonderin' what she had just said
Nodding yes seemed to be the thing to do
She brought him some hot cornbread

“I don't believe I caught your name”
He asked as he sipped the tea
”That's cause I ain't served it to ya”
”Are ya tryin' tah flirt with me?”

He looked at her and scratched his ear
Not sure if he heard her right
He thought he better ask again
This might be a real long night

“It's Mahhh-grit. Daddy named me that”
”Sounds real uppity doan it?”
He then thought of Southern humor
What'd she say about my grits?

“Folks call me near ‘bout evahthang”
She left in a talking blur
He never would ask her again
He'd just call her "Mo Tee Suh"
MoTeeSuh @2010 - The above and all poetry on this page cannot be reproduced on the World Wide Web or any other published form without the written permission of the writer/creator at scarlet@rhymecreek.com


No comments:

Post a Comment